Natural stone is a beautiful, versatile option for flooring. Whether it is sophisticated or rustic, stone is an investment that can provide enjoyment for a lifetime. The key to maintaining the exquisite beauty of stone flooring is a good maintenance program.
The high-gloss finish on a stone floor is created by grinding the stone until it is flat; this evenness causes light to bounce uniformly off of the surface and produce a shine. Dust particles scratch the stone’s surface; it becomes rough and irregular, and light is no longer evenly reflected. The best way to restore the shine is to have the floor reground; however, that can be a time-consuming process. Caring for your stone floor is not difficult, but it must be consistent:
- Dust mopping. Daily dust mopping reduces the buildup of grit that causes scratches. High-traffic areas such as the entrance to a building should be dust mopped several times a day. Using a vacuum is not recommended because the beater bars can scratch the surface.
- Wet mopping. Wet mop your floor frequently using a neutral soap solution; stone soap is preferred because it maintains and enhances the stone’s natural color. Do not use chemicals or other harsh detergents because they can leave streaks or a film on your floor. Do not use acidic cleaners such as lemon juice or vinegar because the they can damage the stone.
- Repolishing. This can be done every two or three years. If you do this just as the shine starts to fade, it will not be necessary to regrind the stone.
- Spills. Attend to spills immediately to avoid staining the stone. Use a neutral soap and warm water to wipe up the spills; rinse thoroughly and dry the floor with a clean, soft cloth.
In addition to regular cleaning, there are several other things you can do to avoid abrasions and chips and retain your floor’s splendor and luster:
- Place a non-slip rug or mat at the exterior entrance to your stone floor to collect dirt and dust.
- Place padding under the legs of your furniture.
- Place house plants on a stand or base; do not set them directly on the floor.
- Do not drag objects across the floor; pick them up and carry them.
Stone flooring adds functionality and beauty to your home or business. Regular care will protect your floor’s beauty and preserve it for years to come.
Salinas and Monterey Bay residents, call our friendly service experts today for a free estimate on your next tile flooring project at 831-594-8964